They are watching a video tape I recorded in my house

nosaijin

Chinese (Traditional)
Hello:

If a sentence reads like this: They are watching a video tape I recorded in my house.

Does it mean:

(a) I recorded a video tape in my house, and now they're watching it,

(b) I recorded a video tape, and now they're watching it in my house,

or both are possible? Thank you.

• london calling

UK English
    Your sentence specifies they are are watching a video recorded in your home. That isn't what (b) says:

(b) I recorded a video tape, and now they're watching it in my house.

However, (a) does:

nosaijin

Chinese (Traditional)
    Your sentence specifies they are are watching a video recorded in your home. That isn't what (b) says:

(b) I recorded a video tape, and now they're watching it in my house.

However, (a) does:

Hmm, okay. In your opinion, how should I fix the original sentence if I want to convey the meaning of (b), then?

nosaijin

Chinese (Traditional)
    I see (b) is fine, but how should I change the sentence They are watching the video I recorded in my house so people would know I'm saying (b), not (a) ?

nosaijin

Chinese (Traditional)
    Change the tense of the first verb. For example, They were in my house watching the video I recorded somewhere else.
    So, in the future tense:
    They are in my house going to watch the video I recorded / They will in my house watch the video I recorded ?

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    They are in my house watching the video I recorded somewhere else.
    What if the sentence is in a different tense? E.g., they are going to watch/ they watched the video I recorded…
    Change the tense of the first verb. For example, They were in my house watching the video I recorded somewhere else.
    So, in the future tense:
    They are in my house going to watch the video I recorded / They will in my house watch the video I recorded ?
    No. Note that I said you should change the tense of the first verb, which is are. I changed that to were in my example and left the rest of the sentence alone.

nosaijin

Chinese (Traditional)
    Yeah but I wonder how I should change are into the future tense properly and it still fits the sentence.
    Are → Will be? Are going to ? Else?

< Previous | Next >