They blew up it/blew it up

Sea-Horse

Spanish
Buenos días, me ha surgido una duda respecto a la colocación de los elementos en los separable phrasal verbs.
Cuando tenemos un phrasal verb que se puede separar (lo digo para hacer la distinción con los prepositional verbs) colocamos el pronombre entre el verbo y la partícula, mientras que si es un nombre se puede poner tanto después de la partícula como entre el verbo y la partícula.
: They blew up the house: verb+particle+noun
: They blew the house up: verb+noun+particle
: They blew it up: verb+pronoun+particle

Hasta ahí bien, mi duda surge a raíz de una frase leída en otro foro sobre phrasal verbs con pronombre + nombre:
They blew up it and the nearby factory (esta opción se considera correcta y no entiendo el por qué)
¿No debería ser: They blew it up and the nearby factory, teniendo en cuenta que el pronombre obligatoriamente va entre verbo y partícula, o se permite ponerlo detrás de la partícula si es pronoun + another noun?
En caso de que se permita poner pronoun+another noun tras la partícula, ¿es obligatorio hacerlo así o se dan por válidas las 2 combinaciones (verb+pronoun+particle+another noun y verb+particle+pronoun+another noun)?

Gracias de antemano.

• Dosamuno

English, USA
    I respectfully disagree with my friend anahiseri.
    "They blew up it and the nearby factory" is correct.
    It’s a question of practicality—if you put too much information between the two parts of a phrasal verb, it can be confusing. The particle gets lost among the direct objects.

However, if I were writing the sentence rather than speaking it, I’d probably express it in another form: “They blew up this building and the nearby factory."—or something similar.

Correction: Especially when speaking, "They blew up it and the nearby factory" is correct for the reason" I mentioned above and below. (See #5)

I had originally posted "They blew it up and the nearby factory" was correct.

Last edited:

Dosamuno

English, USA
    De nada.
    Bienvenido a los foros, Sea-Horse.

I actually made a mistake which I'm now going to correct:
    I meant to say, "They blew up it and the nearby factory." is correct because of the reason that I gave.
    Especially when speaking, it can cause confusion if one puts too much information between the verb and the particle.
    For example, "They blew it, the nearby factory, and the old church up."
    Up
    is left hanging donde Cristo dio las tres voces.

Last edited:

Dosamuno

English, USA
    It sounds strange to me. Hello, native speakers of English, please,we need more opinions!
    anahiseri finds support in A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language. In 16.4, Quirk, Greenbaum, Leech, and Svartvik state,

“When the object is a personal pronoun, the S V O A order is in fact the only one allowable:
    They switched on it.:cross:
    They switched it on.:tick:"

However, especially in spoken English, when there are multiple direct objects, people will say,
    “They switched on it and the air conditioner” with an accent on the “it”.

It may be non-standard usage, but it’s commonly used; especially in speech but also, occasionally, in writing.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >