they brought forward their departure to late April

epistolario

Tagalog
Let's say Juan's family struggled to obtain a visa to the US. They were denied five times. Finally, they were issued a one-year tourist visa to the States last January. A non-native speaker wrote the following sentence, which doesn't seem natural:

They brought forward their departure to late April 2021.​

Although they were initially planning to leave mid-year, they decided to use the visa earlier than that because they might not be able to use it later. How would you express this idea?

Last edited:
  • pfaa09

Portugal - Portuguese
    Why don't you use the verb "anticipate"? It looks fine for this context.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    The usual meaning of "anticipate" in English is "expect" or "look forward to" – not right for this context.

The original sentence looks all right to me, though there are other ways to say it.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    They moved it up to late April.

“anticipated” is a false friend from Romance languages.
    “brought forward” doesn’t work for me.

Wordy McWordface

English - SSBE Standard British
    They brought forward their departure to late April 2021 sounds fine to me.

bring forward

3. To reschedule something to an earlier date or time.
    We need to bring this meeting forward at least two hours to accommodate the CEO's schedule.

Wordy McWordface

English - SSBE Standard British
    I think "move up" is more (or maybe exclusively) American English.
    I think you're right. I had never come across this use of 'move up' before. In fact, it took me a while to find it in a dictionary. Does it come from the idea of moving something up an agenda?

The thread below seems to suggest that 'bring forward' is more (but not exclusively?) British, while 'move up' does seem to be AmE. It's certainly new to me.

I'd like to bring the meeting forward.

Last edited: