They delivered a lamp [broken].

Ground Zero

Korean-Korea
They delivered a lamp broken [I made this sentence]

I think that construction(Subject+verb+object+adjective) is only made when it is accompanied with the verbs:get,make,find,look,consider,etc.

Am I wrong? If so, is that sentence correct?

• owlman5

English-US
    Am I wrong?
    Not really. Those other verbs you listed are far more common in this type of construction. I certainly understand your sentence, and it does sound like something that somebody might actually say. :)

If you wanted to, you could say this: The doctor delivered the baby alive. I'd understand you, but it would sound a little strange. I'd rather hear this: The baby was alive when the doctor delivered it. The lamp was already broken when they delivered it.

Ground Zero

Korean-Korea
    Thanks a lot owlman5. Yesterday, I asked about "...a dish best served cold", and someone said: The construction that is relevant is the one with an object complement.
    I will have conversation with him(I am not asking two questions:))

owlman5

English-US
    I will have conversation with him(I am not asking two questions:))
    I know you're not. "Revenge is a dish best served cold" is a fixed expression. That is the normal way to say it. The construction is fairly common with the verb "serve": The dish is served hot/cold/unseasoned.

Last edited:

Ground Zero

Korean-Korea
    I owe you. I would like have more discussion with you, but I have to stick to the rule(one question per one thread). Of course, now I can totally understand.

I have seen the construction only with the ones I listed. So that's the reason why I was confused.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think you could say:
    "I was afraid the lamp might have got broken en route, but the postman delivered my parcel intact."

I think it may be a question of there being a few more or less common collocations with this construction.

< Previous | Next >