They found a way, through hardships, to attain to a new level of love

ida2

Persian - Iran
Please explain and paraphrase.
They found a way, through hardships, to attain to a new level of love rather than simply surviving or grimly hanging on.
Joni and Ken: An Untold Love Story
by Ken Tada (Author), Joni Eareckson Tada (Author), Larry Libby (Contributor)
Writer's preface
I am translating this book (from English to Persian) and sometimes I need to ask for help with the sentences which are ambiguous for me.

• vincix

Romanian
    First of all, it's "attain something". So "to attain to something", or you can aspire to a new level.

They found a way, by working very hard, to reach this new level of love - so they started loving each other much more. So it was through hard work that they could love each other so much, and not simply by trying to survive, to see how things turn out while not doing anything, while not taking a stance, while not fighting for their love, if you will.

suzi br

English / England
    The couple have had hard times. In such time a person might "simply survive" or they might "grimly hang on". This couple avoided both of those options and reached a new level of love instead.

I am not quite sure what you find ambiguous or tricky in this, can you say?

ida2

Persian - Iran
    The couple have had hard times. In such time a person might "simply survive" or they might "grimly hang on". This couple avoided both of those options and reached a new level of love instead.

I am not quite sure what you find ambiguous or tricky in this, can you say?
    Thank you for your reply.
    I can't understand the meaning of "survive (here)" and "grimly hang on (here)"
    The connection between the two parts of the sentence is ambiguous for me. I see a contradiction. But I am sure I misunderstood it.
    "They found a way, through hardships, to attain to a new level of love" & "rather than simply surviving or grimly hanging on"
    also

I considered "through" as "by means of", not "by doing".
    So, I thought hardships have made them closer to each other
    instead of
    they work hard to become closer to each other.

ida2

Persian - Iran
    First of all, it's "attain something". So "to attain to something", or you can aspire to a new level.

They found a way, by working very hard, to reach this new level of love - so they started loving each other much more. So it was through hard work that they could love each other so much, and not simply by trying to survive, to see how things turn out while not doing anything, while not taking a stance, while not fighting for their love, if you will.
    thank you for your reply.
    So, I thought
    hardships have made them closer to each other
    instead of

vincix

Romanian
    thank you for your reply.
    So, I thought
    instead of
    You might be right as regards "hardships". I don't know exactly the context. You obviously know it better.

"surviving" and "grimly hang on" are synonymous in this context. "Grimly hang on" means to survive, to put up with obstacoles, despite the fact that the situation might seem hopeless. The feeling of hopelessness is referenced by "grimly".

ida2

Persian - Iran
    You might be right as regards "hardships". I don't know exactly the context. You obviously know it better.

"surviving" and "grimly hang on" are synonymous in this context. "Grimly hang on" means to survive, to put up with obstacoles, despite the fact that the situation might seem hopeless. The feeling of hopelessness is referenced by "grimly".
    Thanks a lot.

Andygc

British English
    So, I thought
    Yes, that's what the text you have provided means without further background or context to change that meaning (I can't think how it might).

"Attain to" is not ungrammatical, but is archaic, and means "to reach" or "to get to".

"Surviving" and "grimly hanging on" are not synonymous here. They are two possible outcomes if the new level of love had not been achieved. "Surviving" would be staying together in a neutral but loveless relationship. "Grimly hanging on" would be staying together in a hostile relationship when they would prefer to be apart (perhaps "for the sake of the children").

ida2

Persian - Iran
    Yes, that's what the text you have provided means without further background or context to change that meaning (I can't think how it might).

"Attain to" is not ungrammatical, but is archaic, and means "to reach" or "to get to".

"Surviving" and "grimly hanging on" are not synonymous here. They are two possible outcomes if the new level of love had not been achieved. "Surviving" would be staying together in a neutral but loveless relationship. "Grimly hanging on" would be staying together in a hostile relationship when they would prefer to be apart (perhaps "for the sake of the children").
    Thank you so much. That's very helpful.

< Previous | Next >