They need to be redone. [BE vs AE]

zaffy

Polish
An American was visiting a post office and noticed the lettering on the front door was kind of damaged. He said the lettering needed to be "redone"

Now, would BE use "redo" as well? I guess BE doesn't use it, or does it?

1653154676074.png

Last edited:
  • dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    This is part of a video (live speech, not a pre-written text). I suspect the speaker couldn't quickly think of the correct verb for creating text on a glass door (draw? write? paint? engrave?) and used "do" instead, adding "re-" before the verb.

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Did you check the dictionary - I left that part out because the OP example of lettering needed to be redone not redecorated :eek:
    Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::

redo/riːˈduː/vb ( -does, -doing, -did, -done)(transitive)
    1. to do over again
    2. informal to redecorate, esp thoroughly: we redid the house last summer

zaffy

Polish
    I suspect the speaker couldn't quickly think of the correct verb for creating text on a glass door (draw? write? paint? engrave?)
    True. I guess I'd have trouble coming up with the correct verb in my native language as well. But I guess we would say the lettering needs to be corrected. Would it make sense in English?

Roxxxannne

American English (New England and NYC)
    True. I guess I'd have trouble coming up with the correct verb in my native language as well. But I guess we would say the lettering needs to be corrected. Would it make sense in English?
    No it wouldn't, because there are no mistakes that need to be corrected.
    I suppose the person could have said "the stick-on letters need to be re-applied" (if that's the problem), but any AmE speaker would understand "the lettering needs to be redone," following JulianStuart's comment.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes, it's not decoration or furnishings, so that meaning does not apply. It simply needs to be done over again (repeated) with new lettering. Repair is not really feasible.

Done is like get. The meaning comes from the context.