They prefer to buy things out doors

0216monty

Chinese - Cantonese, Mandarin
How would you interpret this statement: they preferred to buy things outdoors?

I interpret it as "they preferred to go out rather than go online shopping for things they need"

But I guess I might have misred the sentence, which might also be meaning "they preferred street markets to shopping malls and department stores"

I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. :)

• JamesM

"Outdoors" to me can only mean in the open air. I think your second interpretation is more likely to be correct. It would help to have context and background, as usual, such as the complete sentence or a link to the original article.

spb

English
    Your second guess does reflect the true meaning of outdoors, but like you I can imagine it as meaning something else. I am not aware of any idiomatic uses of the word that the statement is employing, so it's all down to the context.

If they 'preferred' this form of shopping then surely the conversation/text must have covered what it was they 'preferred' it over, just before this statement was made.

0216monty

Chinese - Cantonese, Mandarin
    A little background to my question, "For our two, whose buying experience consisted of department stores and shopping mall boutiques, it was amazing to discover that you could bargain over price and perhaps end up with two of something for the price of one....

It's taken from a reading exercise. And the true-or-false question that follows is "They preferred to buy things outdoors".

Thank you for the replies above. I think I was mistaken about the word "outdoors". After all, people stay indoors while shopping at a department store, although they do have to go outside to reach the store.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >