They rose expectant: eye and ear waited while the flesh quivered on my bones

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 35) | Genius

Quotation:Suddenly it stood still to an inexpressible feeling that thrilled it through, and passed at once to my head and extremities. The feeling was not like an electric shock, but it was quite as sharp, as strange, as startling: it acted on my senses as if their utmost activity hitherto had been but torpor, from which they were now summoned and forced to wake. They rose expectant: eye and ear waited while the flesh quivered on my bones.
===
Hi everyone! I don’t try to understand the bold part. I try to interpret it as below. Is it correct?

“They” refers to “my sense” that is personified: “they” is compared to those who wake and get up.

“the flesh: is also personified, and “the flesh quivered on my bones” essentially means “the flesh quivered”, with “on my bones” suggestive of the fact that “the flesh” were put on “the bones”.

The sentence => they rose with expectations: eye and ear waited while the flesh quivered on my bones.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I don't see it like that:

They rose expectant: -> My sense became more acute in anticipation
    eye and ear waited -> the senses of sight and sound were ready for what was to come
    while the flesh quivered on my bones. -> whilst I trembled with expectation.

< Previous | Next >