They stopped when Steve Wilson was helping me stand up.

• Context please.

A "stand up" can be a comedy performer, and so it may not mean "helping me to stand up".

We met Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree band. He was going with an African. I was so excited that I fell down. My friends started laughing. They stopped when Steve Wilson was helping me stand up.

For me, this continuous does not belong here.

I would say:

They stopped when SW helped me stand up.
    They stopped when they saw SW helped me stand up.
    Maybe this is also an option, but it sounds a little bit strange to me.
    They stopped while SW was helping me stand up.

Cheers!

Yes, it is fine.

My apologies for thinking that you meant what you wrote :D

"Helping me" could indeed be followed by "to stand up", but for me that would imply that you needed assistance to remain standing, and not just the assistance in the act of rising to your feet.

A drunk often requires someone to help them stand up.

For me, this continuous does not belong here.

I would say:

They stopped when SW helped me stand up.
    They stopped when they saw SW helped me stand up.
    Maybe this is also an option, but it sounds a little bit strange to me.
    They stopped while SW was helping me stand up.

Cheers!

I see you point Natasha, and would probably agree if I were in my best quibbling mood, but today I'm feeling slack.

As for "The stopped while…" — does that not imply that they resumed laughing when he finished helping?

I see you point Natasha, and would probably agree if I were in my best quibbling mood, but today I'm feeling slack.

As for "The stopped while…" — does that not imply that they resumed laughing when he finished helping?

As I said, this last sentence sounds to me a little bit wierd, but technically, it would imply that they stopped laughing somewhere during the process of helping to get up. But sincerelly, it really looks odd to me.

The other two are saying the same thing. They stopped at the moment they saw what this famous person did or was about to do. Anyway, both actions were momentaneous. Continuous implies an action that has certain duration, and I think in this case this is not what happened. Therefore, I would say that my third sentence is wrong.

Back