they think you a “quiz” without actually saying the words

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 21

Quotation: Georgiana added to her “How d’ye do?” several commonplaces about my journey, the weather, and so on, uttered in rather a drawling tone:and accompanied by sundry side-glances that measured me from head to foot—now traversing the folds of my drab merino pelisse, and now lingering on the plain trimming of my cottage bonnet. Young ladies have a remarkable way of letting you know that they think you a “quiz” without actually saying the words. A certain superciliousness of look, coolness of manner, nonchalance of tone, express fully their sentiments on the point, without committing them by any positive rudeness in word or deed.
===
Hi everyone! I'm not sure about the meaning of the word "quiz" Does it mean "an eccentric, often odd-looking person [Chiefly Brit.] " ?

• Bildsturmer

English - American; Yiddish - Litvish
    This usage is meant to say that the person looks strange and difficult to understand, much like a sudden test, or "quiz", does one who is not prepared for one. So while it makes sense if you give it a think, it sounds outlandish to modern readers.

< Previous | Next >