They went for MY jugular.

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
Recently when I posted a content on the Facebook critical of doctors, some of them went for MY jugular.

Should it be went for THE jugular?

• boozer

Bulgarian
    Recently when I posted a content on the Facebook critical of doctors, some of them went for MY jugular.
    Well, it should be easier for medics to find the jugular :D

If you are posting this and you capitalise MY like you have, it sounds as though you are saying it is your jugular as opposed to someone else's.

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    Well, it should be easier for medics to find the jugular :D

If you are posting this and you capitalise MY like you have, it sounds as though you are saying it is your jugular as opposed to someone else's.
    In post my it is in the lower case. I capitilized the word here to highlight it.

Packard

USA, English
    “Went for my jugular” sounds like the speaker feels like the aggrieved party. As though others should have shared some of the blame or that he feels unfairly blamed.

“My jugular” quite obviously personalizes the complaint. If that is the intention, then I favor it over “the jugular”.

Myridon

English - US
    "The jugular" is the standard idiom though and since the context is doctors "my jugular" sounds like a bit of a literal-vs-metaphorical joke to me. (A doctor with a scalpel could really go for your jugular.) "The jugular" would keep it clearly in the realm of metaphor.

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    “my jugular” sounds incredibly odd to me. I don’t even know what a jugular literally is (nor does anyone need to know that to understand this idiom). I’ve always heard the idiom with “the.” “my” sounds like a mistake to me (whether or not it actually is one).

If I wanted to say that this was directed at me, I might say:

…went for the jugular with me.
    …went for the jugular in their replies to me.