1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

they were headed up to the sandpit behind the bowling alley

Discussion in 'English Only' started by jacdac, Mar 30, 2016.

1. jacdac

jacdac Senior Member

Lebanese
    I am really confused about the bolded sentence below.

George and his friends were headed up to the sandpit behind the bowling alley.

<....>
    There was a rutted track leading up to the edge of the gravel pit, and the game was to ride your bike along it at full speed, yelling ‘Raiders rule!’ at the top of your lungs and bailing from the seat of your bike as you went over. The usual drop was ten feet or so, and the approved landing area was soft, but sooner or later someone would land on gravel instead of sand and probably break an arm or an ankle.
    Source: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

Why using the passive form ? Why they were headed up and not they headed up or they were heading up ?

How can the sandpit which is located in some outside area be located behind the bowling alley which is an inside area for playing bowling? Unless the bowling facility is refers to bowling alley ?

Thank you

2. Glenfarclas Senior Member

Chicago
    English (American)
    "Headed" is an adjective her, so this is not a passive construction.

Close, but backwards: "bowling alley" refers to the entire facility. A little common sense.

3. jacdac

jacdac Senior Member

Lebanese
    Thank you.

What does it mean as an an adjective? I might be slow this morning and I do not understand my new make-shift sentence with headed as an adjective in the present tense:
    I am headed up to the shopping centre.

For me, it is like saying I am gone to the shopping centre which sounds strange to me.

Please help me get out of this confusion.

4. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    It is not possible with all verbs but headed is used and listed as an adjective.