They were (very) fast friends

< Previous | Next >

Roymalika

Punjabi
Once there were two friends. They were very fast friends and were jobless. One day, they decided to go to a city to find a job.

Is "very" correct before "fast"?

• Myridon

English - US
    "Fast friends" is used in American English, but I would say it's usually absolute (and perhaps a bit old-fashioned).
    I don't think people say things like "they were very/somewhat/rather/slightly fast friends."

lingobingo

English - England
    We Brits don’t use it – I agree. But we do say firm friends, which is closer;) in meaning than close friends.

cross-posted and making the same point as Hermione

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    I did say it was a bit old-fashioned ;). Dickens used it in Edwin Drood and Little Dorrit and perhaps others (I stopped searching).

Packard

USA, English
    "Fast friends" is used in American English, but I would say it's usually absolute (and perhaps a bit old-fashioned).
    I don't think people say things like "they were very/somewhat/rather/slightly fast friends."
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    I also recognize "fast friends" but I have not heard it in many years. Using "fast friends" will probably limit the audience that understands what is being said.

I've heard "dear friends" but I don't use the phrase.

"Close friends" is my term of choice.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I don't think "very" fits with it. I think it's an either/or. You either are fast friends or you're not.

Packard

USA, English
    I don't think "very" fits with it. I think it's an either/or. You either are fast friends or you're not.
    :thumbsup:
    I agree. Not an absolute, but similar to "on" and "off". You never hear that the light was "very on" or "very off". The same with "fast friends".

< Previous | Next >