"thing" for information

Super Wombat

English Australia
Can anybody tell me what is the correct name of the thing (signboard) where the information is written on top of in relation to exhibitions/paintings/etc. Sometimes the amount of information is just a few words and therefore it is only tiny, but other times there is a long explanation concerning the artist, or history of the picture displayed and therefore it is quite big...

I'm looking for the thing that the writing is written on top of!

• Super Wombat

English Australia
    I didn't actually mean the writing in itself, but the board on which the captions are pasted/printed...

I thought of "panels"

How does that sound?

okey-dokey

English / UK, London
    Can anybody tell me what is the correct name of the thing (signboard) where the information is written on top of in relation to exhibitions/paintings/etc. Sometimes the amount of information is just a few words and therefore it is only tiny, but other times there is a long explanation concerning the artist, or history of the picture displayed and therefore it is quite big...

I'm looking for the thing that the writing is written on top of!

If it has just a title, date and painter, I would call it a label. If it had a commentary, I would say note.

Super Wombat

English Australia
    Excuse me for being so terrible at explaining myself.... I am still looking for the name, not of the writing in itself, but of the support that the writing is written on top of!

What would that board be called? A panel? A sign?

JamesM

I think it could be called an information placard or sign depending on its size.

If you'll look at this article, you'll see the use of placard to describe the object you've mentioned.

sarcie

English - Ireland
    could it be 'hoarding'?

For me, "hoarding" is on a much larger scale - something like this:

hoarding.jpg

Specifically, when I think of hoarding, I think of the advertising boards that run around the perimeter of a football pitch (the thing the overzealous tacklers always crash into ;))

I vote for panel, for the original question :) - for me, a panel can be small or large, depending on context, I think it's the most neutral way of labelling the concept.

Ecossaise

English
    Excuse me for being so terrible at explaining myself.... I am still looking for the name, not of the writing in itself, but of the support that the writing is written on top of!

What would that board be called? A panel? A sign?

Different exhibitions will have different supports for their captions. Some will be a piece of card, some will be a piece of plastic, others will be large sheets of card or plastic. I have never come across one specific term for such a support, apart from "display board" for larger panels of information.

Super Wombat

English Australia
    Is it a trade exhibition or an art exhibition, JMIV? Take a look at this - does it show the thing you mean?

Nothing like a picture for explaining oneself!

That's pretty much the idea I had in mind...
    Its actually for a museum that's about to be built, but some of the information boards will be about the size of the photograph of the link...

JamesM

I'm still holding out for "placard". Here's a description from the link I provided above:

Instead of thinking about the images, I was distracted by the placards.

Next to each work of art hangs a placard with, in addition to the usual information — title, artist — commentary on the piece by the artist. The pretension displayed in most of these commentaries outweighs the potential power of the images themselves. And this year's theme, "Beauty Is in the Eye of the Artist," lends itself to unlimited possibilities for pretension or triteness.

Super Wombat

English Australia
    Its supposed to be a secret... ! But to give you a vague answer - the museum will be to sensitize people about the terrible effects of uxo's(unexploded ordains) and therefore throughout the itinerary of the museum, there will be information concerning victims of land mines, their experience in obtaining prostheses... and various other aspects.

Some of the information will refer to objects being exhibited, other information concerning instructions concerning the itinerary... all of this information will be pasted on boards/panels and displayed either on the walls themselves or on independent stands.

Thanks James M... I think its a good solution

Super Wombat

English Australia
    Ooops!

Thank you... I realized why I was having difficulty in getting my thoughts over... I gave too little information...

I am translating a project therefore the relation talks about materials that are necessary for building the museum: I think the panels/boards are necessary for making the placards/signs!

Thanks to all
    JMiV