Things haven't changed much given to the refugee crisis.

uitwaa

India - Hindi & English
"Things haven't changed much given to the refugee crisis."
Is the usage of 'given to' correct in the above sentence?

• uitwaa

India - Hindi & English
    " . . . with respect to the refugee crisis" or " . . . with regard to the refugee crisis"?
    Is this same as 'due to refugee crisis'?

boozer

Bulgarian
    Does not sound right to me either. In fact, I cannot think of a sentence where I would use 'given to' to mean anything different from, say, giving straw to a horse. :) That is, I do not see a more abstract meaning than someone being 'given to thought'...

uitwaa

India - Hindi & English
    " . . . with respect to the refugee crisis" or " . . . with regard to the refugee crisis"?
    Can you elaborate the meaning of above phrases? I'm confused :confused:

heypresto

English - England
    'with respect to' and 'with regard to' both mean 'concerning'.

Can you explain to us, using other words, what it is you are trying to say in your original sentence.

uitwaa

India - Hindi & English
    @heypresto I was trying to say- due to refugee crisis, things haven't changed much (because refugee crisis is a prolonged situation(?)) I hope you get my point. Thanks for trying tho

heypresto

English - England
    I don't entirely get your point, but it sounds like you almost answered your own question in post #9, and the sentence should read 'Due to the refugee crisis, things haven't changed much.'

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    That doesn't seem logical to me. That says:

Things (in general) haven't changed much. The reason they haven't changed much is that there is a refugee crisis.

That doesn't make sense to me. Are you sure that's what you want to say?

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I'm afraid your original sentence doesn't mean anything. "Things haven't changed much due to the refugee crisis." is ambiguous; it could mean "Things haven't changed much and the refugee crisis is why they haven't." or "The refugee crisis is not the reason things haven't changed much."

Last edited:

uitwaa

India - Hindi & English
    I changed the whole sentence because it was ambiguous. I was writing something about the situation in countries like Syria etc. Thanks for your help guys!

< Previous | Next >