things they believed <that> signified abundance ['that' omission]

< Previous | Next >

soumet

China Chinese
Dear all,
In this following sentence, do you think that there is a "that" missing between believed and signified?

They focused their energies on accumulating all the things they believed signified abundance: membership in the local exclusive country club, luxury cars, designer clothing, and high-class soceity friends.

Thank you for your help.

• soumet

China Chinese
    As far as I'm concerned, no. The sentence reads well without 'that'. Where does it come from, soumet?
    Hi, it is from my textbook. I looked for the article from the Internet, but I couldn't find it there. I don't know
    who the author is.

Maybe I should start a new post, but how about the following now where I delete "they believed"? Is it
    grammatically right?

They focused their energies on accumulating all the things signified abundance: membership in the local exclusive country club, luxury cars, designer clothing, and high-class soceity friends.

soumet

China Chinese
    Hello soumet

You're absolutely right that if you omit "they believed" you need the "that". With the "they believed", however, you can omit it. You might like to look at Tick the questions you think are suitable to ask (and links in that thread).
    Hi, Loob,
    Thank you for the links. They're very helpful. But I still want to make sure what I understand is right.
    They focused their energies on accumulating all the things they believed signified abundance.
    In the previous sentence, "they believed signified abundance" is to modify "things". Am I right?

< Previous | Next >