think about <the> clothes

Ivan_I

Russian
I am going to go to the mountains and I have just told my friend about it and he says.

- If you really plan to go to the mountains you should think about (the) clothes.

He means you should think about the kind of clothes which you should have while on the hike. It seems to me that "the" is mandatory in that sentence, otherwise what is the point of thinking about any clothes? Do you agree?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    You haven't given us any context that would make the use of "the" appropriate here. If, for example, you and your friend had just been talking about some specific clothing that might be useful in the mountains, then you could use "the."

Ivan_I

Russian
    That's the point, we didn't discuss any clothes before this conversion. But I think that the intended meaning is this:

you should think about the clothes (you will need to take to the mountains).

Otherwise, it seems to mean that we need to think about any clothes in the world which is ridiculous.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    All of these will work:

You should think about the clothes you will need to take to the mountains.
    If you really plan to go to the mountains, you should think about clothes.
    If you really plan to go to the mountains, you should think about your clothes.
    If you really plan to go to the mountains, you should think about the clothes you will need.
    If you really plan to go to the mountains, you should think about what clothes you will need.

kentix

English - U.S.
    The original sentence is inadequate for that context*. So I don't think it matters about "the" because the sentence is bad with or without "the".

* you said it yourself
    But I think that the intended meaning is...
    The sentence doesn't provide a clear idea.

This is a meaningful use of "the":

If you really plan to go to the mountains, you should think about the clothes you will need. (From Florentia above)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >