'Think and tell me? ' Is that idiomatic?

< Previous | Next >

Olivia Ehlers

Spanish
Hey gus
Someone asked me 'Do you have any way to lose weight? Think and tell me, please.'
It sounds a little odd to me...
Is this sentence idiomatic? If not, how do you say it properly?

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    No, not idiomatic. Perhaps something like, 'Have a think and let me know, please.'

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It's curious, as though you might need some time to think about it. If you don't know how to lose weight, simply thinking about it is not likely to be productive.

Perhaps they meant "Tell me what you think". It still seems odd to me though.

coiffe

USA
    American English
    I suppose the speaker had already thought about it for a long, long time, and perhaps nothing had ever worked for her. Perhaps that is why instead of saying simply "Tell me, please," she said "Think and tell me" (she also could have said "Think about it and tell me"). Perhaps she thought a quick answer would give her nothing; so that is why she added "Think."

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I suspect it wasn't a native speaker.

I might have said something like this:

Do you know of a really good way to lose weight? No hurry, think it over and then let me know.

Or it might not be that at all. Perhaps the other person thinks you need to lose weight:D :

Is there any way you can lose weight? Think about it, then let me know. I may be able to help you.

Olivia Ehlers

Spanish
    I suspect it wasn't a native speaker.

I might have said something like this:

Do you know of a really good way to lose weight? No hurry, think it over and then let me know.

Or it might not be that at all. Perhaps the other person thinks you need to lose weight:D :

Is there any way you can lose weight? Think about it, then let me know. I may be able to help you.
    Thank you for your explanation~~~ Velisarius

Olivia Ehlers

Spanish
    I suppose the speaker had already thought about it for a long, long time, and perhaps nothing had ever worked for her. Perhaps that is why instead of saying simply "Tell me, please," she said "Think and tell me" (she also could have said "Think about it and tell me"). Perhaps she thought a quick answer would give her nothing; so that is why she added "Think."
    Thank you Coiffe~~

< Previous | Next >