Think as you like vs take it as you like

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know which is the best expression in the context below: 'think as you like' or 'take it as you like'. Do you have any other suggestions? Please, take a look.

Person 1: She's conceited and doesn't like to help anyone. I think she should be removed.
Person 2: No, she's not like that. She deserves to stay.
Person 1: I'll prove that I'm right. She shouldn't stay after all she's done.
Person 2: Well, think as you like. = your opinion doesn't matter much to me.

Person 1: She's conceited and doesn't like to help anyone. I think she should be removed.
Person 2: No, she's not like that. She deserves to stay.
Person 1: I'll prove that I'm right. She shouldn't stay after all she's done.
Person 2: Well, take it as you like. = your opinion doesn't matter much to me.

Thank you very much in advance!

• lgs

The two meanings are pretty much the same, but "Think as you like" sounds more conversational to me.

A more slang response would be, "Whatever."

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Which do you think might be better, Xavier?

(Personally, I'd be likelier to say "think what you want," but that's a third—and perhaps more brusque or curt—option.)

Myridon

English - US
    "Think as you like" means "you are free to have your own thought process/way of thinking" or "you are free to have your own opinions". You don't really need an "it" to reference back to the topic.
    "Take it as you like" means "you interpret it in your own way, or see it in your own way." In this case, the "it" is needed to refer back to the topic.
    I agree that in this conversation they result in almost exactly the same meaning.

< Previous | Next >