thinking/mindset and reasoning

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
Hello,
The reason I am posting this thread is because I think that there is a certain similarity between "thinking and mindset" and "thinking and reasoning" in these sentences: "What is the reasoning/thinking behind your decision." and "The company will have to change its whole mindset/thinking if it is to survive." Both sentences are provided by MacMillan Dictionary. I can see something similar in between but I am rather tired at the moment and I might be wrong. What do you think?

Thank you

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I don't quite understand. Did the dictionary actually give both words in each sentence?

In any case, "thinking" and "reasoning" are similar but not quite the same; they both refer to a process. "Mindset" is something different and means an attitude or inclination or state of mind.

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    Thank you. I should not have mentioned anything about "mindset". I am sorry. What is the difference between "thinking and reasoning"? I know they are both processes. I think that "reasoning" is more thorough that thinking and in the end we draw a conclusion. What else is different?

Thankl you

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I only have access to the online Macmillan Dictionary, but there they have the first sentence in #1 as

thinking behind: Can you explain the thinking behind your current proposal?

reasoning behind: The reasoning behind this decision seems to be sound.

To me the choice of these pairs "thinking - proposal" and "reasoning - decision" is telling: I think "explain the thinking behind your proposal" suggests something more vague or general: what are the factors you took into consideration when coming up with the proposal? The thoughts may be disconnected but brought together in the proposal.

"The reasoning behind this decision seems sound" - "reasoning" suggests a chain of logic leading to a specific conclusion. It is less diffuse than "thinking".

Last edited:

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    Thank you, velisarius. Is it impossible to say "The reasoning behind your proposal"? You explanation is fantastic. I am asking out of curiosity. As I think of it now, it is pretty simple. Reason vs think. The former is much more thorough and suggests drawing a conclusion. Also being less diffuse as you have pointed out.

James, Parla, Velisarius, please excuse me for posting that thread. It was 1:26 AM and I was very tired. I will blame it on that :).
    Thank you for your help and time

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >