thinks out of the box

tesoke

USA
Persian
Hi, during the sentences, from "How IBM Watson will impact our fight against cancer" by Washingtonpost, I cannot understand the meaning of the red part. Would you please explain to me. Thanks for any help.

The hope is that this new Watson Genomics initiative will be about more than just enabling researchers at medical institutions to mine a much larger store of data. The real hope is that cognitive computing also implies creative computing – a computer that thinks out of the box based on industry best practices to arrive at solutions and recommendations that would impress even a human doctor.

• Myridon

English - US
    a computer that thinks out of the box.
    Which box? The box that is based on industry best practices. (best practices of the computer industry).
    "best practice" (Wikipedia)
    A best practice is a method or technique that has consistently shown results superior to those achieved with other means, and that is used as a benchmark.

2016azaz

USA
    Arabic
    Hi, during the sentences, from "How IBM Watson will impact our fight against cancer" by Washingtonpost, I cannot understand the meaning of the red part. Would you please explain to me. Thanks for any help.

The hope is that this new Watson Genomics initiative will be about more than just enabling researchers at medical institutions to mine a much larger store of data. The real hope is that cognitive computing also implies creative computing – a computer that thinks out of the box based on industry best practices to arrive at solutions and recommendations that would impress even a human doctor.
    Thinking outside the box (also thinking out of the box or thinking beyond the box) is a metaphor that means to think differently, unconventionally, or from a new perspective. This phrase often refers to creative thinking.
    So this computer can think in a creative way and this computer is based on industry best practices which enable it to achieve the best results (and as Myridon said)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >