Thiruvananthapuram/Kollam vs Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam

sinukg

Malayalam
Hi everyone,

At our office we had to send a communication to District Medical Officers of 6 districts of our state. The clerk concerned wrote the address as given below. I think that the symbol "/" should be replaced with "commas" as
"Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Idukki, Alappuzha, Ernakulam and Palakkad. I'd like to get your opinion on this.

"From

The Director of Health Services

To

The District Medical Officer of Health,
Thiruvananthapuram/Kollam/Idukki/
Alappuzha/Ernakulam/Palakkad."

• Leeeroy

Polish - Poland
    The idea is to separate the items, I honestly don't think it matters how it's achieved unless you have a specific manual to follow.

Here's a random thought: The use of forward slashes might be dictated by practical considerations. What if you were to have two districts with the same name, but in two different states? How would you differentiate them? You'd add the name of the state, separated by a comma, e.g. Trivandrum, Kerala/Trivandrum, Orissa. Now the slash suddenly makes sense since if we were to use a comma, it'd be a mess. Perhaps whoever created the list often deals with that scenario and at some point decided "ok, I'm just going to use slashes no matter if they're needed or not." Don't ask me why they chose slashes over semicolons (which is what I'd use) because I have no clue.