This abandonment exhibits that men essentially only concern

< Previous | Next >

PHart

English - United States
In the following sentence, is it okay to use both adverbs right next to each other like how I do?:

"This abandonment exhibits that men essentially only concern about taking care of themselves."

Thanks in advance.

• Copyright

American English
    I personally don't think essentially and only belong together because of their meanings -- they both describe degrees of something and they don't mean the same thing, so I think you should choose one or the other.

Edit: See post 5 for a change of mind.

Last edited:

Forero

In the following sentence, is it okay to use both adverbs right next to each other like how as I do?:

"This abandonment exhibits shows that men are essentially only concerned about taking care of themselves."

Thanks in advance.
    or "... that men essentially only concern themselves with taking ...."

I don't have any problem with having essentially next to only, but if essentially is meant to modify shows, it is clearer to say "essentially shows that ...."

Copyright

American English
    Then again, perhaps I'm wrong. From the WR dictionary essential: fundamental or central to the nature of something or someone.

So I would imagine that it can be central to your nature that you only act in a particular way. So let's go back to your sentence and modify it slightly:

This abandonment shows that men essentially are only concerned about taking care of themselves.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    This abandonment shows that men essentially are only concerned about taking care of themselves.
    Shouldn't it read, ". . . that men essentially are concerned only about . . . "?

I believe that "only" modifies the phrase that ends the sentence, not "concerned".

Copyright

American English
    Shouldn't it read, ". . . that men essentially are concerned only about . . . "?

I believe that "only" modifies the phrase that ends the sentence, not "concerned".
    They may only have one concern in their lives. :) I can't defend it much more than that, since that's the way I would say it -- but I've been known to be misplaced.

Copyright

American English
    Commenting only on the commas -- because there are different points of view about where the "only" goes -- I will say that they're fine for me.

< Previous | Next >