This actress <got to> babysit

Lun-14

Banned
Hindi
hi,

what is the meaning of "got to" in this sentence?

This actress actually got to babysit Shahrukh Khan's Darling Angel 'AbRam' and we are so jealous! Guess Who?

thank you

Lun

• Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    Thank you.

Does it also mean "take the responsibility of" or "take the opportunity to"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    hello parla.

i think you mean to say "This actress actually got to babysit. . . " is a passive sentence as you said was given an opportunity to, right?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    It is sense 19 in the Random House Dictionary:
    [~ + to + verb]
    to succeed in something
    She gets to meet a lot of interesting people.
    Sense 7 in Collins:
    (takes an infinitive) to manage or contrive: how did you get to be captain?
    The Collins definition puts more emphasis on the person doing something to achieve something, but that is hinted at in the Random House definition. There is some kind of achievement understood with this use of get, and so I disagree it is merely passive in nature.

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    Thanks natkratip....
    When "got" is used the way i have used in my OP, does it always convey the meaning you have told in #7?
    Also i'm confused by Parla's reply, according to him, "got" is being used as a passive in my OP's sentence, so the above sentence should be:

The actress was got to babysit. . .

Please guide me on this.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    No, this is not the passive get, such as in 'The actress got robbed'. This is in the active voice. The sentence means 'The actress (contrived it so that she) got (the opportunity) to babysit ...'.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    No, Parla (who is not a "him") didn't say that the original sentence was passive. I said that "got to" in the original sentence is equivalent in meaning to "was given the opportunity to".

It's the same as, "John got to meet the President when his class visited Washington."

< Previous | Next >