This aspect vs This capacity vs This fact vs This

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
Hi, I would please ask you which of the options in bold (if any) is more appropriate in the following (I prefer the second):
Another benefit to working with X Inc. is the firm's global reach and, in particular, its capacity to achieve a prominent position within the competitive Asian market. (This aspect)/(This capacity)/(This fact)/This is exemplified by the successful relationship established with the X department of the Asian branch of a world’s leading manufacturing company.

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    Hi, marcbatco. I vote for the plain pronoun "this" in your text. I don't think the other nouns are particularly helpful or meaningful in this situation.

lingobingo

English - England
    I agree. Keep it short and sweet. In general, the text is good, but “a world’s leading manufacturing company” doesn’t work.

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    Hi, marcbatco. I vote for the plain pronoun "this" in your text. I don't think the other nouns are particularly helpful or meaningful in this situation.
    I agree. Keep it short and sweet. In general, the text is good, but “a world’s leading manufacturing company” doesn’t work.
    Hi owlman5 and lingobingo, and thank you for your suggestions.
    To lingobingo: what is wrong in a world’s leading manufacturing company?

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    Hi owlman5 and lingobingo, and thank you for your suggestions:
    To lingobingo: what is wrong in a world’s leading manufacturing company?
    Since we only have one world with a manufacturing company, you would have to say "the world's leading manufacturing company," if you really wanted to go that route, i.e. ridiculous advertising hyperbole.

lingobingo

English - England
    That’s right. For example, you can describe something as the world’s largest, but not as a world’s largest.

I can see where it might have come from, though, since it would be fine to say “one of the world’s leading manufacturing companies”.

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    Since we only have one world with a manufacturing company, you would have to say "the world's leading manufacturing company," if you really wanted to go that route, i.e. ridiculous advertising hyperbole.
    That’s right. For example, you can describe something as the world’s largest, but not as a world’s largest.

I can see where it might have come from, though, since it would be fine to say “one of the world’s leading manufacturing companies”.
    Hi sdgraham and lingobingo, and thank you for your advice. “One of the world’s leading...” is exactly what I meant.

< Previous | Next >