This Business We Call Show

luketime

Chinese
Sentence is question:
“You can’t manufacture a phenomenon,” acknowledges Rubio. “It was a film born out of passion, practicality, and a desire to make a mark in ‘this business we call show.’”

Background: Director Kevin Rubio talking about his Star Wars fan film TROOPER (1997).
I did some research on this and it looks like a phrase often used when referring to performing business. I believe the reference I list below is enough proof, but it would be nice to have confirmation from an native speaker. And what intrigues me is that the phrase sounds like a quote, because it's pretty commonly used. I wonder if anyone know the original source of this phrase...

A blog about how to make your living performing:

An article about performing:

A post criticizing a TV show as just an entertaining "show":
driftglass: Sunday Morning Comin' Down: This Business We Call "Show" Edition

"This intimate night with Joanna tells some of these tales and more as we gallop through almost 50 years in this business we call show."

A post about a stage performer.
JOANNA LUMLEY ON TOUR 2018 - It’s All About Me

Thanks!

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The entertainment industry is called 'show business'. This is a common phrase, and we have an entry for it in our dictionary ---> show business.

These people are playing with the common term. The effect is mildly humorous. It is possible that they all thought of it independently, or it may have been used by someone in a widely distributed article or quote and the others picked it up from there.

luketime

Chinese
    The entertainment industry is called 'show business'. This is a common phrase, and we have an entry for it in our dictionary ---> show business.

These people are playing with the common term. The effect is mildly humorous. It is possible that they all thought of it independently, or it may have been used by someone in a widely distributed article or quote and the others picked it up from there.
    Hi Cagey, I'm translating a book and would hate to miss any additional information the phrase carries. Thank you so much for the confirmation!

< Previous | Next >