This colonel is down on the list of events for a good dinner

Japutra

Russian - Ukraine
Just cannot understand what the subject phrase means....

Thank you all guys for your patience to my questions.

"Do you think that this man they have sent suspects you?" she asked, with a little pucker of her brows.
"He'd better not," said the American, carelessly. "It's lucky that no one caught a sight of the valise except myself. As I was in the rooms when the shot was fired, it is not surprising that they should want to investigate my part in the affair rather closely. But there's no cause for alarm. This colonel is down on the list of events for a good dinner, with a dessert of American 'bluff' that will end the matter. I think."

From Cabbages and Kings by O Henry (part 7 :The Money Maze)

See full text here:

http://docsouth.unc.edu/southlit/henry/henry.html

• Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    His name has been written down on a list of people who are going to get a good dinner.

This sounds metaphorical. I can't tell if he's going to a state dinner and then geting a metaphorical dessert or if both the dinner and the dessert are metaphorical.

Basically, he has been scheduled to receive something.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Sorry, but I disagree. Having scanned some of the story, I think that the "list of events" that Goodwin is referring to is his own list of things to do. We already know that Goodwin has already invited the Colonel to dinner that very evening and we already know that Goodwin isn't about to admit anything about the valise so the Colonel's "dessert" after dinner will be Goodwin bluffing about the valise.

Japutra

Russian - Ukraine
    I would also like to add that of the whole "list of guests" there are only two - this colonel and Goodwin himself

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    I would also like to add that of the whole "list of guests" there are only two - this colonel and Goodwin himself
    The point is that somebody already plans to give the colonel something. That's what the "down on the list" part means: it indicates that someone has plans for him.

< Previous | Next >