This Contract covenants...

Eugin

Argentina (Spanish)
Dear all!!! :)
Once again, here I am with one question as regards a clause corresponding to a Supply Agreement, which is in English, of course, but I cannot follow the meaning of what they want to intend:
"This Contract covenants the terms and conditions on which the Purchaser has agreed to purchase the Product from XXX, during the Term of this Contract, for the above said period".

Please, can anyone tell me whether this sentence is gramatically correct or what is the "hidden" meaning of it? I find myself lost since I don´t know how to interpret the verb "to covenant" and the Subject "Contract". I have always thought that some covenants to sth, but not a Contract.... :confused:
Any kind of help is greatly appreciated!!! (and don´t hesitate to correct my English!;))

Best!

• Isotta

English, Hodgepodge
    Eugin said:
    Dear all!!! :)
    Once again, here I am with one question about/in regard to a clause in/from a Supply Agreement, which is in English, of course, but I cannot follow the meaning of what they want to intend:

"This Contract covenants the terms and conditions by [sounds better to me] which the Purchaser has agreed to purchase the Product from XXX, during the Term of this Contract, for the aforementioned [better probably] period".

Please, can anyone tell me whether this sentence is grammatically correct or what the "hidden" meaning of it is? I find myself lost since I don´t know how to interpret the verb "to covenant" and the subject "Contract". I have always thought that some covenants to something, but not a Contract.... :confused:
    Any kind of help is greatly appreciated!!! (and don´t hesitate to correct my English!;))

Best!
    The sentence is meant to say that the purchaser promises to uphold all the parameters of the contract. I have never heard "this contract covenants" before; it sounds strange me.

Since you ask, I have made a few grammatical and stylistic suggestions.

Z.

nmgadb

English - US
    I personally think that this is worded poorly. It seems pretty clear that this is an agreement, but it states that the contract is performing the action of covenanting. Since, to me, covenanting is defined as a two-way promise it seems difficult to believe that a contract could be a part of doing this. Does that make sense?

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi Eugin,

This is legalese jargon. It means to say that the terms and conditions on which the purchaser made a decision to do business are warrenteed/guaranteed to be honored during the term of the contract.

regards,
    Cuchu

PS-- Isotta: parameters:D

Eugin

Argentina (Spanish)
    Thank you, guys!!!! you really helped me out with this one!!!!;)
    I`ll try to explain that in Spanish now,:eek:
    Would it help if I told you that this agreement was written in Singapore?? Would that explain everything?????

By the way, Cuchu, you didn´t tell me anything for the 2.000 this time... (there is a crying emoticon missing here....)

All the best for all of you, including Cuchus!!!!;)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Eugin said:
    By the way, Cuchu, you didn´t tell me anything for the 2.000 this time... (there is a crying emoticon missing here....)

All the best for all of you, including Cuchus!!!!;)
    You have my belated congratulations, ongoing thanks, and respect for your fine contributions. I've been away for about a month, and have yet to catch up with PMs, celebrations, and political insurrections. :eek:

Un fuerte abrazo,
    Cuchu

< Previous | Next >