this detergent commercial anymore

Discussion in 'English Only' started by catgreat, Dec 28, 2008.

1. catgreat Member

Chinese
    Dear sir or Madam:
    I don't mean to bother you. But I have a question while watching Desperate Housewives
    " I just can't live in this... this detergent commercial anymore. So, I want a divorce"

Is "detergent commercial" an idom?

2. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    No, it's not, but it's meaning is quite clear. Most detergent commercials feature happy housewives doing the laundry as though it's a great pleasure instead of a necessary household chore. It's obvious that one of the women in the show is not at all happy and doesn't want to pretend that she's as happy as the women in the detergent commercials who "pretend" that doing the laundry is such a happy thing.

3. englishelp Senior Member

Chinese
    Actually, I remember this line very well. It was uttered by Rex to his wife, Bree.
    So given this, can I interpret it to mean, in general, "something that has a facade of perfection or happiness"?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  4. catgreat Member

Chinese
    Oh, well, I appreciate your answer a lot. Have a great new year, sir!

5. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    Well, I can hardly wait to see a T.V. commercial showing the husband doing the laundry!:D

6. catgreat Member

Chinese
    Exactly! By the way, I googled this and found that someone asked the same question somewhere else. However, it seemed that that guy didn't get the right answer like me! How lucky I am. Wish you all the best for your work!

7. garbage_cnbeta Senior Member

Beijing
    Chinese
    3.jpg 4.jpg
    It's obviously that it's the wife who does the laundry.