This film is amazingly processional

< Previous | Next >

Konstantinos

Greek - Athens
I found the phrase in Cambridge CPE 1 Listening Test 3, Section 4.

This film is amazingly processional and calm and you get these wonderful slow movements which open up your heart at times.

According wiki, a procession is an organized body of people walking in a formal or ceremonial manner.

But I can't understand how a film can be processional.

Thanks in advance.

• Virium

English - USA
    It's describing it as calm also, so since a procession is organized and formal, the film must be slower paced and in a orderly fashion. It's hard to describe.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    This film is amazingly processional
    This phrase is very odd. I am surprised it exists. "Processional" means "of or relating to a procession". It is an adjective form of "procession". To me, the only correct meaning for this adjective is to talk about an actual procession.

I can't understand how a film can be processional.
    That is my opinion also. I do not think it makes any sense, applied to a film.

I also do not think something can be "more" processional or "amazingly" processional. Let's substitute its definition in the sentence:

This film is about a procession.:oops:(correct, if the film shows a procession)
    X is amazingly about a procession.:mad:(incorrect)

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    Definition #2 for processional in my 2nd favorite dictionary* is "of the nature of a procession, moving in an orderly or regular succession, sequence, or the like. The film, in other words, is very (amazingly!) orderly and sequential and calm etc.....
    *I bet this definition is in the OED also.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It sounds to me that the writer of this sentence is talking about the film in terms of a piece of music: "slow movements", "processional and calm".

The film has the emotional impact of music, as far as I can tell from this one sentence.

kency

English - SE England
    It's describing it as calm also, so since a procession is organized and formal, the film must be slower paced and in a orderly fashion. It's hard to describe.
    I agree with Virium.

Film critics often use unusual and 'artistic' language to describe performances.

< Previous | Next >