this guy's too good to maroon any swimmers

< Previous | Next >

melanzio

italian
Hi,

I came upon this sentence in a dialogue in thriller where a detective asks the coroner if he found any clue about the murderer during the autopsy, and he answers:

'This guy is too good to maroon any swimmers.'

Has anyone heard this expression before?

• Tazzler

American English
    Could you give a tad bit more context? For example, did he find any clues? It's kind of difficult to understand for me too.

Loob

English UK
    As in maroon verb definition 1 1 maroon
    leave stranded on a desert island without resources; "The mutinous sailors were marooned on an island"

Myridon

English - US
    If there's a possibility of sexual contact in the crime, he may be asking if the criminal left behind (marooned) any spermatozoa (swimmers).

melanzio

italian
    Could you give a tad bit more context? For example, did he find any clues? It's kind of difficult to understand for me too.
    Detective: 'Anything left?'
    Coroner: 'Nah, this guy is too good to maroon any swimmers. Oh, one last thing. She had what looks like dog food in her stomach. I'll call you when I get the rest of the results.'

I think it means 'to leave something up to fate', but I've never heard it before.

melanzio

italian
    If there's a possibility of sexual contact in the crime, he may be asking if the criminal left behind (marooned) any spermatozoa (swimmers).
    yeah, you're right, that was the previous question asked to the coroner, and indeed the victim was raped

< Previous | Next >