This is confirmed by Figure 5 that shows that periphery data

< Previous | Next >

harry3th

Italiano - Italy
Hi all.

I have a problem with this sentence:

I have write this:
This is confirmed by Figure 5 that shows that periphery data point cloud is wider than core countries data point cloud.

But Word has suggested me this:

Figure 5 that shows that periphery data point cloud is wider than core countries data point cloud confirms this.

Which one sounds better in English?

Thanks.

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    This is confirmed by Figure 5, that which shows that periphery data point cloud is wider than core countries data point cloud.
    Word is "all wet" (= speaking nonsense). Word seems to be trying to avoid the passive voice at all costs.
    "This" refers to something that was said in the preceding sentence, and is rightly near it in the sentence that you have written.
    This juxtaposition of "this" near its antecedent justifies the use of the passive.
    "Figure 5" fully and specifically identifies the figure, so the following relative clause is nonrestrictive, thus calling for a comma and "which".

harry3th

Italiano - Italy
    Word is "all wet" (= speaking nonsense). Word seems to be trying to avoid the passive voice at all costs.
    "This" refers to something that was said in the preceding sentence, and is rightly near it in the sentence that you have written.
    This juxtaposition of "this" near its antecedent justifies the use of the passive.
    "Figure 5" fully and specifically identifies the figure, so the following relative clause is nonrestrictive, thus calling for a comma and "which".

Thank you so much Cenzontle!!! Your explanation is absolutely useful!

< Previous | Next >