This is, or I am as I'm writing email?

Annashin84

Korean
I'm writing an email to one of my professors.
Am I supposed to say Hello professor, "this is Anna" or "I am Anna"?

Thank you!

• prawer

English - US
    Annashin84,

I think you would use "this is Anna" specifically if you have communicated with your professor previously but not by e-mail (in person, by phone, etc.), and this professor may not recognize your identity from your e-mail address alone.

If you were introducing yourself to a new person, you might say something like "I am Anna," but I'd expect that people would be more used to "Greetings, My name is Anna."

Embonpoint

English--American
    :tick:This is Anna.
    :tick:My name is Anna.
    :eek: I am Anna.

The last one isn't wrong, but it is what foreign speakers of English say. I can't quite give it an :cross: so I gave it a weird icon!

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Keep in mind that anyone who receives e-mail from you already knows who you are. E-mail has a "from" field; with most e-mail software, it displays your real name as well as your e-mail address. Also, you almost certainly will sign your name at the end. Unless the e-mail is very long, anyone who reads it will see your name there. That makes such an opening unnecessary. It is seldom used in business e-mail, unless one wants to say something that is not obvious from the other sources of this information. When my students open an e-mail to me that way, it usually means that they are trying to be polite but don't know how.

Andygc

British English
    Definitely not I am Anna. That sounds like e-mail spam. Dear friend, I am Anna. I am beautiful girl who wants meet English freind. Meet me at www . georgeous-girl . ru

Oops, that appeared as a hyperlink until I added the spaces !

< Previous | Next >