This is the last time I'll write to him.

< Previous | Next >

stephenlearner

Chinese
Hi,

I have written to him lots of times, but he has not replied to me yet. So I'm angry. I decide to write a last email. While I'm writing, I say:
This is the last time I'll write to him.
This is the last time I write to him.
This is the last time I'm writing to him.

Are the three sentences all correct and suitable for the context?

Thank you very much.

• reno33

English - USA
    This is the last time I'll write to him. :tick:
    This is the last time I write to him.:tick:
    This is the last time I'll writing to him. :cross:

reno33

English - USA
    Note that in all the above sentences, "to him" can be shortened to "him", without the "to".

stephenlearner

Chinese
    Thank you all very much.
    If I haven't started to write an email to him, what should I say? Are these sentences and my comments correct?

This is the last time I'll write to him. :tick:
    This is the last time I write to him.:tick:
    This is the last time I'm writing to him. :cross:

lingobingo

English - England
    The present continuous is used to denote the future, as is the present simple.

As explained by the WR dictionary:

present progressive
    a verb form consisting of an auxiliary be in the present tense followed by a present participle and used esp. to indicate that a present action or event is in progress, being repeated or of a temporary nature, or to express the future. Also called present continuous.

And some examples from an old BBC page: BBC World Service | Learning English | The Flatmates - Language Point 73

stephenlearner

Chinese
    After I finish writing it, somebody asks me, "Have you written to him?" I reply, 1, "Yes, I did it several minutes ago. This is the last time I will write to him. " 2, "Yes, I did it several minutes ago. That was the last time I would write to him."

Which is correct?

lingobingo

English - England
    If you make that remark after you’ve written for the last time, it makes sense to use the past tense. But your use of would is unnatural – it would only make sense in a later account of the situation, written in the past tense.

Yes, I’ve just written to him. But that was the last time. I’ll never do it again.
    Yes, I’ve just written to him. But that was the last time I’ll ever do it.

< Previous | Next >