this is the string upon which all our states of suffering and dissatisfaction are strung

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Does "this is the string upon which all our states of suffering and dissatisfaction are strung" refer to "the 'I' is the string upon which all our states of suffering and dissatisfaction are strung"?

That is, the author's logic is that without "I", there would be no string upon which all our states of suffering and dissatisfaction are strung?

Thanks in advance

The fundamental insight of most Eastern schools of spirituality, however, is that while thinking is a practical necessity, the failure to recognize thoughts as thoughts, moment after moment, is what gives each of us the feeling that we call "I," and this is the string upon which all our states of suffering and dissatisfaction are strung. This is an empirical claim, not a matter of philosophical speculation. Break the spell of thought, and the duality of subject and object will vanish— as will the fundamental difference between conventional states of happiness and suffering. <.........> It is on this front that the practice of meditation reveals itself to be both intellectually serious and indispensable.

-Sam Harris' The End of Faith

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    No, it means "the feeling that we call "I,"

The fundamental insight of most Eastern schools of spirituality, however, is that while thinking is a practical necessity, the failure to recognize thoughts as thoughts, moment after moment, is what gives each of us the feeling that we call "I," and this is the string upon which all our states of suffering and dissatisfaction are strung.

The fundamental insight of most Eastern schools of spirituality, is that although A is required, yet B is what gives each of us C and this (C) is the string upon which all our states of suffering and dissatisfaction are strung.

This = the feeling that we call "I,"

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Personally, I would read that "the feeling that we call 'I'" as that string, but the meaning may not be markedly significant if you think of that "string" as the combination or amalgamation of the several preceding concepts. The string could the "I" itself but could also be the previous concept, "the failure to recognize etc." Since an equivalence is made, that is the "failure" is equated to "the feeling that we call I."

Edit: PaulQ, I like it!

< Previous | Next >