This is to confirm that I... (correspondence)

Mikejx

English
How do you start a formal letter in Arabic saying "This is to confirm that I..."?
Is it appropriate to translate it verbatim "هذا (الخطاب) للتأكيد بأني"?

Or is it said in a different way?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Mikejx

English
    Hi,

The literal translation is not idiomatic. Can we have the rest of the sentence, please?
    Sure!

"This is the confirm that I, L H, am the sole representative of J&L and that..."

It's not idiomatic in English. Just a standard way of starting a business / formal letter.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    This is usually used in certificates, but I think we can use the same formula for a letter:

أود أن أؤكد أنني أنا، ل.هـ.، الممثل الوحيد لـ... وأن...

In certificates, the phrasing would be slightly different, and would be issued by J&L not the representative:
    تشهد شركة كذا أن فلان هو الممثل الوحيد لها في ....

Mikejx

English
    This is usually used in certificates, but I think we can use the same formula for a letter:

أود أن أؤكد أنني أنا، ل.هـ.، الممثل الوحيد لـ... وأن...

In certificates, the phrasing would be slightly different, and would be issued by J&L not the representative:
    تشهد شركة كذا أن فلان هو الممثل الوحيد لها في ....
    Thanks cherine! So is "هذا (الخطاب) للتأكيد بأني" wrong?

And how about..."افيد سعادتكم بأني ان"?

Last edited:

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Thanks cherine! So is "هذا (الخطاب) للتأكيد بأني" wrong?
    Not wrong technically, but doesn't sound natural. You can say أكتب لكم هذا الخطاب/هذه الرسالة للتأكيد على أنني
    And how about..."افيد سعادتكم بأني ان"?
    This too is correct. In Egypt, we use سيادتكم more than سعادتكم but both are common and correct.

jack_1313

English - Australian
    You can say أكتب لكم هذا الخطاب/هذه الرسالة للتأكيد على أنني
    Do you think that there's a difference between لتأكيد أن and للتأكيد على أن.

I would prefer the former for "to confirm" and the latter for "to emphasis", "to underscore", "to stress", etc.

Mikejx

English
    أكتب لكم هذا الخطاب/هذه الرسالة لتأكيد على أنني أنا، ل.هـ.، الممثل الوحيد لـ... وأن..

For some reason saying أنني and then أنا sounds redundant to me. What do you think?

Also, what's the difference between هذا الخطاب vs. هذا الرساله؟

< Previous | Next >