...this is what I will <wear> <be wearing> to greet my team.

Makel Leki

Russian
Here's a piece from The Hunger Games:
Then finally, the time arrives when I come to and there’s nothing plugged into my right arm. The restraint around my middle has been removed and I am free to move about. I start to sit up but am arrested by the sight of my hands.
I slip my legs out of bed, nervous about how they will bear my weight and find them strong and steady. Lying at the foot of the bed is an outfit that makes me flinch. It’s what all of us tributes wore in the arena. I stare at it as if it had teeth until I remember that, of course, this is what I will wear to greet my team.
Could we say "will be wearing"? What's the difference between the two?

There's also "will bear" in that sentence, but for some reason I don't feel "will be bearing" would fit there. Maybe it's because it'd emphasize the process of her legs enduring her weight, which isn't really that important. Of course, I might be wrong.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Could we say "will be wearing"?
    Not as a replacement for "This is what I will wear to greet my team", although it is also true that it is what she will be wearing to greet her team.

"Will wear" refers to an action, and probably carries an element of compulsion: This is what I need to put on to greet my team.
    "This is what I will be wearing" merely says what she will look like.

lingobingo

English - England
    This is all recounted in the historical present — as though the narrator is watching the scene and describing it as it unfolds.

I slip my legs out of bed, nervous about how they will bear my weight …​
    • Here, the present continuous (will be bearing) would make no sense​
    until I remember that, of course, this is what I will wear to greet my team.​
    • Here, too, the present continuous is not appropriate — not because it wouldn’t be grammatical, but because it’s not what’s meant. A paraphrase of what’s meant would be: this is what I am to wear…​

< Previous | Next >