This is xxx (my name) - at the beginning of email or phone conversation

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
In an email or calling through phone, is "This is xxx (my name)" most common to introduce myself? Thank you!

• heypresto

English - England
    On the phone, 'Hello, this is . . . ' would usually be fine. In an email, 'I am . . . ' might be a little better.

I don't think there are any rules about this. It may depend on who you are speaking or writing to, and how well you know them.

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    On the phone, 'Hello, this is . . . ' would usually be fine. In an email, 'I am . . . ' might be a little better.

I don't think there are any rules about this. It may depend on who you are speaking or writing to, and how well you know them.
    Thank you all.
    So is "I am ..." most common to introduce in an email?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I often begin emails with a casual greeting - something like
    Hello jokaec,
    I am a moderator in WordReference and I have just changed the title of your thread to include a bit more information about your question.
    panjandrum​

I have used this in many conversations with individuals or organisations. It gives useful information simply and clearly.

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    I often begin emails with a casual greeting - something like
    Hello jokaec,
    I am a moderator in WordReference and I have just changed the title of your thread to include a bit more information about your question.
    panjandrum​

I have used this in many conversations with individuals or organisations. It gives useful information simply and clearly.
    Thank you, panjandrum.
    Suppose someone is writing an email for asking a day leave for his daughter. In the beginning, he writes "Hello teacher, I am Wendy's dad" or "Hello teacher, this is Wendy's dad". Are they both correct? If so, which one is more common?

Last edited:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I'd say "I am Wendy's dad" in this context, unless the teacher already knows you.

The introduction "I am ..." is often overused in e-mail. E-mail has a From field, which the reader sees, and that probably shows your name. Messages are also normally closed with the sender's name at the bottom. If the person knows who you are (not just your name, but that you're Wendy's dad, their IBM sales representative, whatever) from this information, adding "I am ..." is unnecessary. In that case, don't say anything.

< Previous | Next >