This keyboard is too ...(?)

Esgaleth

Russian
Hello forum,

It would be nice if someone could help find the right word(s) to describe a keyboard where the keys/buttons are too hard (tough/ taut/ ?) so that you have to hit (pound ?) them with all your might to avoid typos. Alternatively, the keys can be loose (?) enough to type quickly, without much effort, just slightly touching them (does it sound like tapping?)

I have to admit it's more about sense perception rather than pure mechanic. This tablet keyboard of mine is a true headache even though the keys are not particularly hard to press but to say that it's just uncomfortable is virtually to say nothing.

Thanks for reading this - it took all my patience to type it.

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    The word that comes to my mind is "sticky," but I'm not quite certain about its appropriateness. Perhaps our colleagues will be more enlightening.
    Welcome to the forum, Esgaleth.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "The keyboard is stiff." However, it is usually expressed as "The keys [on the keyboard] are stiff."

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Resistant? Unyielding? I'm not sure there's a single word. You might have to go with a descriptive phrase.

Welcome from me, too. :)

DW

Banned
    Polish
    [...]
    the right word(s) to describe a keyboard where the keys/buttons are too hard (tough/ taut/ ?) so that you have to hit (pound ?) them with all your might to avoid typos.
    [...]
    "The keyboard is stiff." However, it is usually expressed as "The keys [on the keyboard] are stiff."
    :thumbsup:

[...]
    Alternatively, the keys can be loose (?) enough to type quickly, without much effort, just slightly touching them
    [...]
    The smooth keys [on the keyboard] are the opposite of the stiff keys [on the keyboard].

Welcome to the forums, by the way! :)

Last edited:

Esgaleth

Russian
    The word that comes to my mind is "sticky," but I'm not quite certain about its appropriateness. Perhaps our colleagues will be more enlightening.
    Welcome to the forum, Esgaleth.
    :thumbsup: That's exactly how it feels - 'sticky', assuming though that literally it should be about a key or, rather several random keys, that once being pressed won't go back, right? In my case, I should think there's something wrong with their balance, so even if the keys look perfectly levelled on the surface, they might get stuck somewhere inside the keyboard. Without going into much detail, would something like 'this keyboard with sticky keys is a true pain in the neck' sound comprehensible? natural?
    :thumbsup: I was thinking about 'stiff' but then rejected it as pertaining to either something new or of low quality, at least in terms of keyboards. Is it simply idiomatic to say 'I would rather I didn't have to use this keyboard because the keys are stiff' without any negative connotation?
    Resistant? Unyielding? I'm not sure there's a single word. You might have to go with a descriptive phrase.
    Welcome from me, too. :)
    Absolutely. I should have asked for a phrase, not a word in the first place. :)
    The more I am thinking about it now the better I understand the context and the register are really crucial. I was wondering if 'resistant' and 'unyielding' could imply personification while, for example, complaining to a friend like 'It took me ages to type the memo on this keyboard - the keys are as resistant as the new boss / as unyielding as my mother-in-law' Or does it sound altogether foreign to your ear?
    :thumbsup:
    The smooth keys [on the keyboard] are the opposite of the stiff keys [on the keyboard].
    Welcome to the forums, by the way! :)
    :thumbsup: Many thanks for the word! I don't understand why it escaped me before. :(
    Yes, I wish the keys on my keyboard were smooth! 'Smooth' would make the direct opposite of 'stiff' inasmuch as 'good' is not 'bad'. However, considering numerous unpleasant possibilities we have to admit that sometimes 'bad' and 'bad' can be opposites: cf. 'be burnt up' and 'be drowned' or 'fat' and 'skinny'. In layman's terms, these are opposites, neither particularly pleasant though. With this in mind, could 'loose' be used to imply 'not properly fixed and thus being a problem'?

Many thanks for your responses and warm welcome!

< Previous | Next >