This kid is all about the shutdown

vkalmer

greek
Hi guys, got a question for you.

There's a scene in a film where this guy grabs something to drink and the bartender looks at another person while he says

"This kid is all about the shutdown". What does shutdown mean in this sentence?

In Urban Dictionary says somewhere that it means to get drunk. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

• vkalmer

greek
    Without more context I wouldn't understand what implication it might have. Urban Dictionary is unreliable, by the way.
    Okay, forget Urban Dictionary.:)

The quote is from the film Boss Level. The protagonist relives repeatedly the day of his death by assassins.

One of these days he gets away, and goes to the bar to drink.

Do you need more context?

The Newt

English - US
    Okay, forget Urban Dictionary.:)

The quote is from the film Boss Level. The protagonist relives repeatedly the day of his death by assassins.

One of these days he gets away, and goes to the bar to drink.

Do you need more context?
    I suspect the idea may be "this kid has nothing in his mind besides getting dead drunk," but that's more or less a guess.

vkalmer

greek
    I suspect the idea may be "this kid has nothing in his mind besides getting dead drunk," but that's more or less a guess.
    Okay. Thanks. But…

May I ask why is this a guess? Is it not clear what is he trying to say?

What does shutdown mean in general, besides turning off machines?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Okay. Thanks. But…

It's not particularly clear to me, unfortunately. It doesn't have any general meaning apart from closing something and/or turning it off. Do you have any more context you could let us have, please? That might help.

dojibear

US English
    No. He isn't using words with their standard meanings. In particular "shutdown".

It means "shutting something down", which means ending something. You shut down machines (turn them off), or you shut down a store (close the store permanently), or you shut down a business (stop the business permanently).

The only time a person is "shut down" is when they are unconscious. This "shuts down" their senses. The person could be in a coma, or very very drunk, or asleep.

"This kid is all about the shutdown".
    What is the kid all about? = What is the only thing the kid cares about?

Becoming unconscious? Being fired because a business recenctly closed? Something else?

vkalmer

greek
    I think all he cares about is becoming unconscious as dojibear said. Because he keeps reliving the same exact day.

As I understand it, he drinks every day to forget that this (the repeating of the day) is happening.

Last edited:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It's fiction. Anything is possible in fiction.
    I know, but even fiction usually makes some sort of sense. You can't relive anything when you're dead. You can't even dream when you're dead. Mind you, not having had the experience of being dead (or at least not having any recollection of it), I can't be absolutely sure. Let me make a quick mental note to let you know when the time comes.

It would have been more understandable to relive the day you were almost assassinated.

dojibear

US English
    Let me make a quick mental note to let you know when the time comes.
    I'll get a ouija board so I'm ready. :D

This kid is all about the shutdown.
    I notice that he says "the" shutdown, not "a" shutdown. Why?

One reason is there is a single, well-known shutdown that the speaker thinks the listener knows about. That would make sense if this town had a big factory that closed last week. The kid lost his job when "the shutdown" happened.

There could be another reason for "the". I just haven't figured it out.

vkalmer

greek
    I'll get a ouija board so I'm ready. :D

I notice that he says "the" shutdown, not "a" shutdown. Why?

One reason is there is a single, well-known shutdown that the speaker thinks the listener knows about. That would make sense if this town had a big factory that closed last week. The kid lost his job when "the shutdown" happened.

There could be another reason for "the". I just haven't figured it out.
    Thanks for taking the time once again.

I think the becoming unconscious fits the bill here.:)

No it's not a factory. It's in the beginning of the film and we only know that he dies repeatedly, doesn't like it, and that he is a regular customer to the bar.

Thanks guys.

If anyone else has some other idea or has seen the film, I'll be in touch.