This little piggy went to market.

< Previous | Next >

sleepCircle

English - Canada
Hello everyone! This is an nursery rhyme that my grandpa used to tell me when I was a kid. I'm not really sure where it came from, but it's very old, maybe over a hundred years. I know it's one line longer than four, but in a way it is only one sentence long. If this is still an infraction of the 'no more than four sentences of prose / four lines from a song' rule, then I am very sorry and I won't do it again. u_u

But if it's okay, I would like to ask if I came even close to translating it correctly.

This little piggy went to market,
This little piggy stayed home,
This little piggy had roast beef,
This little piggy had none,
And this little piggy cried "wee wee wee" all the way home.

The rhyme is counted on the kid's toes, one line for each toe, from biggest to smallest. So each "this little piggy" is referring to a new pig. This is my attempt.

この子豚は、市場に行ってきました

この子豚は、家にいた
この子豚は、ローストビーフを食べました
この子豚は、食べませんでした
そして、この子豚は「ブヒー、ブヒー、ブヒー」を家までずっと叫びました。

I was working with a couple grammatical concepts outside my current skill range—especially with the "this little piggy cried all the way home" line. Did I do okay?

Thanks in advance!—and again, I'm very sorry if this isn't allowable under the rules.

• karlalou

Banned
    母国語:日本語
    I would say it's mostly fine. :)
    You are writing in 〜ました style, so the 2nd line also should be in that style.
    In Japanese, pigs usually cry ブー、ブー、ブー, but creative ways of describing sounds are always welcomed in Japanese writings.
    Perhaps, for the fourth little pig, 叫びました sounds a bit too much. It sounds too noisy to me. lol I prefer simply 泣きました but may be that's only just my taste.

Last edited:

SoLaTiDoberman

Japanese

この子豚は、市場に
    行きました。
    この子豚は、家にいました。
    この子豚は、ローストビーフを食べました。
    この子豚は、何も食べませんでした。
    そして、この子豚は「ブヒー、ブヒー、ブヒー」家までずっと泣き続けました。

Blue letters are optional, that will make the sentence more natural.
    Red letters are necessary to make the sentence grammatically correct or correct style.

Shiratori99

German - Germany
    For the fourth line, maybe just この子豚は、何もを。 ?

It sounds more poetic to me and closer to the English original. Not sure how well it rings with a native speaker though.

810senior

Japanese
    For the fourth line, maybe just この子豚は、何をも。 ?

It sounds more poetic to me and closer to the English original. Not sure how well it rings with a native speaker though.
    No, we don't say もを but をも. (I'm sorry but either way in this sentence sounds weird to me)
    この子豚は、何も食べませんでした。 is most common translation as far as I think.

< Previous | Next >