this next meeting could run a little bit deadly

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Lord Business (the villain) is going to have a meeting with Bad Cop, with whom he's very angry for Bad Cop's failing to catch one guy. A secretary tells him:
-- Bad Cop is waiting for you in your office.
-- Wonderful. Fantastic. Would you cancel my 2:00? This next meeting could run a little bit [making a sinister face expression] deadly.
The Lego Movie

Does by this next meeting he refers to the meeting with Bad Cop which is gonna happen right now, and deadly means that he could kill the cop during that meeting (he will almost do)? That is, no pun involved?
Thanks.

• VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Yes, events at the meeting could be 'deadly' --result in the death--(to someone other than the speaker).
    And one question -- does it by any chance also imply that the meeting is going to last longer than expected, I mean, why does he cancel another meeting (2 o'clock) ?

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Cancelation implies an expectation, perhaps, of a longer meeting; 'deadly' does not necessarily.
    Yes, that's what's confusing me in the OP:) I mean, the sentence in bold is supposed to explain why the 2:00 meeting is being cancelled... Or am I wrong?

Last edited:

waltern

English - USA
    It would be typical to say something like "Would you cancel my 2:00? This next meeting could run a little bit long" - here, it might run long because it might become "deadly".

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    It could also be because he'll want a break after the deadly meeting, or even that he will need to have his office cleaned. You are right that we expect this sentence to be an explanation, but in this case the explanation given is incomplete. Note that this is very often the case.

< Previous | Next >