This novel <is> <has been> his best work to date.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by effect3, Mar 14, 2019 at 6:25 PM.

1. effect3 Senior Member

Polish-Poland
    "This novel is his best work to date."
    If "to date" means" up to the present time", shouldn't we use the present perfect tense in the example sentence above?
    "This novel has been his best work to date" .

<Edited by moderator (Florentia52) to remove distracting links>

2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    No. "Is" is correct. - It still is.

You could say "The writing of this novel has been his best work to date," as the writing was in the past.

3. dojibear

dojibear Senior Member

Fresno CA
    English - Northeast US
    This novel has been his best work to date.:tick:
    This novel is his best work to date.:tick:

4. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

I agree with PaulQ on this one. It is his best work to date. It may not be tomorrow if he releases a new book then but it is, right now, today, his best work.

I don't think "to date" means "up to the present time" in this context. It means "as of today".

5. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    It's the same as saying "It's his best work so far", or "It's the best work he's done so far. In other words, I disagree that it means "as of today".

6. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

"So far" is a better rephrasing of it. I agree. In other contexts, though, "to date" really means "as of today" (or maybe "up to today/now"). Example: "We have received five offers on the house to date."

7. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    That novel had been his best work but it has been surplanted by his latest which is his best novel to date.

8. dojibear

dojibear Senior Member

Fresno CA
    English - Northeast US
    Yes, "to date" means "up until the current date". So we can use "is" with it.

English is like that. After people have said or written "up until the current date" many millions of times, they shorten it and say "to date" instead.