This Past Weekend vs Last weekend

< Previous | Next >

apatzinguense

Spanish
Is 'this past weekend" and "last weekend" the same thing. I want to refer to the The weekend of November 13/14 of the current year. can I use both interchangeably? I would appreciate your feedback.

• Tazzler

American English
    In this case they mean the same to me, but be forewarned that in many cases they aren't interchangeable. :) Let's see if anyone can offer a good rule.

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Apatzinguense. Can you give us a whole sentence with your phrase? That will help people decide whether it sounds good or not.

Harry Batt

USA English
    Yes, there can be a different meaning. If you announce that the class scheduled for last weekend of the month will be held at Buster's Bar, you cannot say that it will be the past weekend. A rule: If you are talking about some activity which took place in the ago, past weekend and last weekend would be interchangeable if they are talking about the same week end. Last weekend it snowed in Minneapolis and before it became the past weekend we had a snow emergency. How's that for a difference in meaning? And . . . welcome to the Forum our Spanish unpronounceable friend.

Last edited:

timpeac

English (England)
    1.This past weekend I read a good book.

2. Last weekend I read a good book.
    I don't think that we use "this past weekend" very much (in British English at least). I would interpret both these sentences in the same way, but I would only say 2.

Edit - there is a meaningful difference in a period of time though - "this past year" would mean "during the last 12 months" (whenever you were in the year). "Last year" would mean the previous year - 2009 if you're in 2010 for example. I think that's what I find strange about your sentence 1. You can say "last Monday" but not "this past Monday" (at least in my usage).

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I hear "this past Monday" or "this past weekend" quite frequently in the US. In such circumstances, it eliminates ambiguity for those who hear "this" and think future is meant (for them it seems verb tense isn't very important as a clarifier).
    It's the past equivalent of "this vs next" :D

kentix

English - U.S.
    I hear "this past Monday" or "this past weekend" quite frequently in the US.
    I agree. It sounds normal to me in American English, but not always absolutely interchangeable with last weekend.

1.This past weekend I read a good book.
    This sounds a bit off.

2. Last weekend I read a good book.
    This sounds fine.

What did you do last weekend?
    What did you do this past weekend?

These sound okay but there's a slight difference I can't quite put my finger on.

It seems like "this past weekend" is part of an ongoing time frame, moreso than "last weekend".

"I read a book last weekend."
    "This past weekend I finally finished repainting my house."

[Or maybe it's just me.]

Linguisticks

English - Australia
    I've never heard "this past weekend" used to mean "last weekend" in Australian English. We'd just say "last weekend", or perhaps "the weekend just gone".

< Previous | Next >