This place is books || Psyche!

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata Sama

Chinese
Hi,everyone
I was watch a TV program
2 guys are cleaning their bedroom.After that,the bedroom is all tidy,span and spic.
Then one guys says 'this place is books'

Is it a slang or something?I did find 'books' in the subtitles,and the pronunciation did sound like 'books'.
So do you know what it is?
thank you

• Janey UK

Native speaker of British English
    I'm an British English native speaker and this is the first time I've ever come across this expression, and it makes no sense at all to me. I can't think of anything remotely like this that would make sense...I suspect it's an error in the subtitling, unless it's an American English expression that isn't yet common here in England.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I'm a native American English speaker, and I've never heard this either!

I've heard "___ is one for the books" (meaning "is so unusual that it should be recorded in a book").

pob14

American English
    What was the show, and from what country? It's a rule that you should tell us that, but more important, someone may know the program and remember the scene in question. (Also, the phrase is "spick and span," in that order.)

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    What was the show, and from what country? It's a rule that you should tell us that, but more important, someone may know the program and remember the scene in question. (Also, the phrase is "spick and span," in that order.)
    Thank you,I listened again,it sounds like bucks,do you have any clue? << Video links not allowed. >>

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    I'm a native American English speaker, and I've never heard this either!

I've heard "___ is one for the books" (meaning "is so unusual that it should be recorded in a book").
    Hi,I listened again,it sounds like 'bucks',do you have any clue? << Video links not allowed. >>

Hinata Sama

Chinese

<< Posting directions is the same as posting a link, and also forbidden. >>

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    I listened to the scene several times (my post above was deleted because it repeated the link). He definitely says "this place is books," but I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.
    Thank you,man
    It doesn't matter at all and I really appreciate your kindness of spending the time on my question

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Of course it matters! Now you got our curiostiy piqued.

I can only repeat Parla's request: Can you tell us the name of the show and what country it's from?

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    This reminds me of an expression that was used for some time by kids in one particular school I know: "It's really book!", or "This is so book!" Nobody else knew what it meant. Apparently it started in a text message that one of the kids sent, using predictive texting. He'd typed the keys for "cool", but the phone proposed "book" (same keys), and he sent it without noticing. The story quickly spread through the school, and everyone started using "book" to mean "cool".

I'm not suggesting that's the meaning in the case you quote, Jackesly, but the anecdote serves to suggest that "books" in your TV programme might have a meaning invented by the characters using it. Maybe there's an explanation earlier in the show. It might indeed help if you could tell us at least its name.

[Edit] OK, I've found it: Video Game High School, Season 2, Episode 1. But I'm none the wiser! Some of the other lines make me wonder if it's really English they're speaking ("I guess I'll nab some z's before drift class. Psych!", and "Now, I really gotta hate to clean this place spotless" :confused:), so I doubt that I'll be able to decipher "This place is books"!

Ws:)

Last edited:

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    This reminds me of an expression that was used for some time by kids in one particular school I know: "It's really book!", or "This is so book!" Nobody else knew what it meant. Apparently it started in a text message that one of the kids sent, using predictive texting. He'd typed the keys for "cool", but the phone proposed "book" (same keys), and he sent it without noticing. The story quickly spread through the school, and everyone started using "book" to mean "cool".

I'm not suggesting that's the meaning in the case you quote, Jackesly, but the anecdote serves to suggest that "books" in your TV programme might have a meaning invented by the characters using it. Maybe there's an explanation earlier in the show. It might indeed help if you could tell us at least its name.

[Edit] OK, I've found it: Video Game High School, Season 2, Episode 1. But I'm none the wiser! Some of the other lines make me wonder if it's really English they're speaking ("I guess I'll nab some z's before drift class. Psych!", and "Now, I really gotta hate to clean this place spotless" :confused:), so I doubt that I'll be able to decipher "This place is books"!

Ws:)
    Haha,yeah,they are young people,they use many internet terms,don't worry about it.Thanks for your time.Wow,there are so many warm-hearted people in this forum.
    I love this place

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    Of course it matters! Now you got our curiostiy piqued.

I can only repeat Parla's request: Can you tell us the name of the show and what country it's from?
    Thanks.It's called Video Game High School <<--->> .An US program.
    But,it seems sometime people in this program speak English very ungrammitically,so if you can't figure it out,just let it be.
    I don't want you to waste too much time on it
    Thanks again.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Wiki has an article on Video Game High School here.
    The series is set in the near future where video gaming elevates its best players to stardom by its position as the world's most popular competitive sport.[3] Video Game High School (VGHS) is an elite and prestigious facility which teaches a curriculum of video games of all genres.
    PS: Jackesly, Please put a space after punctuation marks when you write. It's easier to read.

Last edited:

anthox

English - Northeast US
    Some of the other lines make me wonder if it's really English they're speaking ("I guess I'll nab some z's before drift class. Psych!"

I don't know about other regions, but I remember the term "psych" from when I was a kid. I had always thought it was spelled "sike," until I contemplated the word when I was older and realized how it was spelled. This was an extremely common word among kids in my neighborhood. It means to emphatically contradict what the speaker has said in jest. For example,

Here, you can have the candy I just bought.
    Really? *reaches out hand*
    Psych! *pulls candy away* Why would I give you my candy, loser?

Kids are cruel. :(

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    We seem to have gone as far as we can go with the topic question.

I'll close the thread.

If anyone has some experience with the expression 'books' that would help us out, please use the red triangle at the bottom of this post to report it, and ask the moderators to open the thread again.

Thank you everybody, for your contributions.

Cagey, moderator.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >