this sign ( , ) in english

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    They have different meanings and refer to different things. Each is used appropriately. Which meanings did you find?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hi, what do we call ( , ) in English? Comma or virgule?
    That's a comma; this is a virgule: ( / ) although we commonly refer to it as a slash.

Baran, note that we always capitalize the name of a language.

(Cross-posted with George.)

baran 20

persian
    They have different meanings and refer to different things. Each is used appropriately. Which meanings did you find?
    As I said I was looking for commen english word for , and I found this sign in both words.So if there is any difference between them,what is it?Or if these 2 words aren't correct,You tell me how do you call , ?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    The punctuation sign given in in the OP (,) is a comma in English: virgule is the French word for it.:)
    I see from the dictionary that virgule in English is the forward slash (/) but I have never, ever before today come across it in BE being called that! :eek:

baran 20

persian
    The punctuation sign given in in the OP (,) is a comma in English: virgule is the French word for it.:) I see from the dictionary that virgule in English is the forward slash (/) but I have never, ever before today come across it in BE being called that! :eek:
    Thanks all.Now I understood what was the problem... Maybe the dictionary I used made a mistake.Thank you so much

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I mean, "Have you looked in an English dictionary for the words comma and virgule?"
    I asked that question as virgule is very uncommon in English, although it is the French word for "comma".

I am really surprised you found it in a dictionary :rolleyes: -> you need a new and reliable dictionary. I suggest the "Dictionary and thread title search:" at the top of this page if you are unsure about definitions.

OED
    virgule, n.1. A thin sloping or upright line (/, |) occurring in mediæval manuscripts. as a mark for the cæsura or as a punctuation-mark (frequently with the same value as the modern comma).

< Previous | Next >