This so-called naturalistic fallacy

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does "This so-called naturalistic fallacy" refer back to "G. E. Moore's open-question argument"?

The expression "This so-called naturalistic fallacy" sounds sarcastic (against Moore) to me. I am not sure whether you native speakers have the same feeling.

Hume found that there seems to be a significant difference between positive statements (about what is) and prescriptive or normative statements (about what ought to be), and that it is not obvious how one can coherently move from descriptive statements to prescriptive ones. The is–ought problem is also known as Hume's law, Hume's guillotine or fact–value gap.

A similar view is defended by G. E. Moore's open-question argument, intended to refute any identification of moral properties with natural properties. This so-called naturalistic fallacy stands in contrast to the views of ethical naturalists.

Source: Is–ought problem - Wikipedia

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    So-called is often used sarcastically or designating disagreement, but not always. 1) below is neutral.

so-called /ˈsoʊˈkɔld/ adj. [before a noun]
    1. called or designated thus:the so-called Southern bloc.
    2. incorrectly called or styled thus:Her so-called friends are the ones who tempted her to use drugs.

kentix

English - U.S.
    The naturalistic fallacy refers to the previous description - the identification of moral properties with natural properties.

[which is] intended to refute any identification of moral properties with natural properties. This so-called naturalistic fallacy...

Moore's argument is intended to refute that idea. Not support it. So the comment is not against him.

I tend to think it's not sarcastic. It's just giving it a short, punchy name. I guess they could have accomplished the same goal by putting it in quotes.

This "naturalistic fallacy"...

But they have to do something to show it's a formalized name/label and not just their own descriptive words in that sentence.

< Previous | Next >