this; that vs one; the other

thetazuo

Chinese - China
Listening and speaking are both necessary to English; ______ practices our oral English and ________ makes us know what other people say.
A. that; this
B. this; that
C. one; the other
D. one; another

Hi. This exercise is from an English grammar book.
I chose C but I am told the correct answer is B. I'm very confused about why C is wrong?
Please shed some light on it.
Thank you.

• ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I prefer "one...the other" rather than "one...another", as there are only two. (There are other ways to say this as well: "the second...the first; "the latter...the former".)

Edit: corrected to fit your context.

Last edited:

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    Thank you all! According to the book, when we use pronouns to refer to the two things A and B aforementioned, we should take into consideration the sequence of A and B. Using "one" and "the other" is incorrect in that they fail to show the correct sequence of A and B, i.e. "one" refers to listening whereas "the other" refers to speaking, which makes the latter part of the sentence illogical. In order to show the correct sequence, we should use "this" for the nearer thing, namely, in this case, speaking, and use "that" for the further thing, namely, listening.
    What do you think of the explanation?

Myridon

English - US
    With the construction "A and B", the two things are equally "near." A and B are together. It seems as if "this" must refer to both of them.
    There's no requirement than "one" and "the other" be in order. We have "the former" and "the latter" for that.
    "Another" selects one thing from a group, but there's only one thing left so "another" doesn't work.

< Previous | Next >