this tow and that toe

callatecaro

Peruvian spanish
Hi !
im currently reading to Sylvia Plath's poetry and there's a phrase that i just can't understand ,it goes like this : "This tow and that toe"
it's part of a poem called "Gulliver", ive already read the translation at the dictionary , but is there any other meaning to the word "tow",thanks!:p

• Lerma

Tow:

1: a rope or chain for towing2 a: the act or an instance of towing b: the fact or state of being towed3 a: something towed (as a boat or car) b: a group of barges lashed together and usually pushed4 a: something (as a tugboat) that tows b: ski tow
    — in tow 1: under guidance or protection <taken in tow by a friendly native>2: accompanying or following usually as an attending or dependent party <not easy shopping with kids in tow>

1: short or broken fiber (as of flax, hemp, or synthetic material) that is used especially for yarn, twine, or stuffing2 a: yarn or cloth made of tow b: a loose essentially untwisted strand of synthetic fibers

talshanir

Argentina Spanish
    Hola:

Creo que es un juego de palabras entre "tow" y "toe", ya que las dos se pronuncian igual. Te dice "this tow and that toe", tanto uno como el otro.

No conozco este poema de Plath, es lo que se me ocurre.

Last edited:

mora

Canada, English
    Hola

Creo que es metafórico- 'this tow' significa 'esta añoranza'.

saludos

mora

budt

English - UK
    True it uses two homophonic words, but the important thing is surely that it gives examples of two distinct types of relics usually associated with saints: items of clothing and mortal remains. The tow here is, I feel, a piece of flaxen cloth, part of a garment or a shroud.

mijoch

Banned
    British English
    Hi.

"Tow" can also refer to a type of hair. Tow-headed. "this hair and that toe".-------hair-toe-relic.

Worth a try-----just.

M.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >