This was <bullying> of an insidious sort

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 433, chapter 19) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background:Connie said in her letter that she wanted to leave Clifford, but in his letter, Clifford insisted on meeting her in Wragby. But Connie didn't want to do anything, because she was afraid to go near him…)

If you(Connie) don’t come back to Wragby now, I shall consider that you are coming back one day, and act accordingly. I shall just go on the same, and wait for you here, if I wait for fifty years. (by Clifford in his letter)
She(Connie) was frightened. This was bullying(=bullying behavor) of an insidious sort.

I don't think it a bully if a man waits for his beloved, on the contrary, it is deep love.. So why did Connie regard it as a bully please? Or, does bullying have special meaning?

Thank you in advance

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    Does she want him to wait for her? What does she want from him?
    Bullying has its usual meaning, rather like abuse, when a person with power mistreats someone less powerful for warped pleasure.

Scott AM

English - Canada
    Hi,
    Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 433, chapter 19) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
    (background:Connie said in her letter that she wanted to leave Clifford, but in his letter, Clifford insisted on meeting her in Wragby. But Connie didn't want to do anything, because she was afraid to go near him…)

If you(Connie) don’t come back to Wragby now, I shall consider that you are coming back one day, and act accordingly. I shall just go on the same, and wait for you here, if I wait for fifty years. (by Clifford in his letter)
    She(Connie) was frightened. This was bullying(=bullying behavor) of an insidious sort.

I don't think it a bully if a man waits for his beloved, on the contrary, it is deep love.. So why did Connie regard it as a bully please? Or, does bullying have special meaning?

Thank you in advance
    I think the key thing here is the word "insidious". It is not outright bullying, it is "insidious bullying" - bullying that that is inconspicuous or stealthy. It's happening in the background and is not obvious to others.

I may be wrong, but isn't Connie's problem that Clifford won't grant her a divorce? Which is what he is implying when he says he will treat her as if she is coming back some day? So in that case, he is being a bully, by his inaction. In today's parlance, we might call it "passive-aggressive behaviour".

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you both
    Does she want him to wait for her? What does she want from him?
    Of course she doesn't. She wants to escape from him very much:)
    It seems that you wanted to tell me: Clifford wants to torture Connie by keeping her beside him. And the torture is a kind of bully.
    I think the key thing here is the word "insidious". It is not outright bullying, it is "insidious bullying" - bullying that that is inconspicuous or stealthy. It's happening in the background and is not obvious to others.
    It's helpful.

< Previous | Next >